Trade and Investment in Palestine
Hebron is the main location for the traditional crafts of glass making and ceramics. Handmade Hebron glass is a niche product marketed around the world.
Hebron is also the centre for the leather trade and high-quality and hand-crafted shoe-making.
There's a belief that its impossible to trade with, or invest in Palestine because of the Israeli occupation. The occupation places real restrictions on Palestine's economic growth and development, however there are real opportunities for trade with Palestine and for private sector investment in Palestine.
The Palestinian National Authority provides support and incentives for private sector development and particularly for investment in the areas designated as priority areas. This includes the health, education, tourism, infrastructure and education sectors.
Palestinian Authority Reform and Development Plan
The Palestinian Authority has given priority to the development of legislative and governance frameworks to create a stable environment for investment. The Reform and Development plan focuses on:
- Structural Reform, particularly in the areas of improved financial accountability and sound public management
- Public infrastructure such as education, hospitals, municipal services, justice system, water networks, electricity, waste treatment, tourism infrastructure
- Providing investment opportunities through supported SME's or short to medium term enterprises - construction and housing, agriculture, solar energy, waste management, health services education reform including construction and service provision, and more.
- Stable fiscal performance and reduction of deficit by the Palestinian Authority
- Good governance
- An environment of public and private stability
Country Profile of a Growth Economy
The steady population growth of the occupied Palestinian Territories provides a predictable pathway for economic growth. The Palestinian Authority's reduced reliance on aid funding is creating short term economic difficulty, however growth opportunities for import, export and investment remain strong.
With high literacy rates and education levels, the Palestinian workforce is educated, flexible and highly productive. IT skills and resources are comparable to world standards.
Total Area: 6, 450km2
Climate: 350 days of sunshine
Average temperatures: Winter: High: 16°C , Low: 7°C, Summer: High: 27°C Low: 15°C
Main Cities: Bethlehem:194,095, Gaza City: 551,832, Hebron: 620,417, Jenin: 281,156
Jericho: 46,718, Jerusalem: 389,298, Nablus: 348,023, Ramallah & Al-Bireh: 310,218
Languages: Arabic (official), English (population generally conversant), French, German, Hebrew, Italian, and Spanish are widely spoken
Literacy Rate: Total: 94.9%, Male: 97.6%, Female: 92.2%
GDP: $4,639.7 (2008 US Millions)
GNI: $5,048.2 (2007 US Millions)
GNI per capita: $1,297.2
Currencies: New Israeli Shekel (NIS) Jordanian Dinar (JD) US Dollar(USD)
LINKS AND DOWNLOADS
Full Palestine Country Profile including Government and Legal Overview
Information on Trade and Investment Support and Incentives
Downloadable Powerpoint on Trade and Investment in the oPt
Information on Trade and Investment support from the General Delegation of Palestine