Since our last letter to you, on 9 October 2015, I regret to inform you that the situation in the Occupied State of Palestine, including East Jerusalem, continues to deteriorate at an alarming rate as a result of Israel’s crimes and violations against the Palestinian people held hostage to its occupation. This situation warrants immediate attention by the international community, in particular the Security Council, to act to halt all violations of international law, including humanitarian and human rights law, committed by the occupying Power against the Palestinian people, as well as to provide the Palestinian people with international protection before the situation spirals further out of control. Each day that passes, more innocent lives are lost as is any hope to reach a peaceful two-State solution in the future.
The following are just some tragic examples of the latest Palestinian casualties and human rights violations caused by the brutal raids and attacks of the occupying forces and their terrorist settlersover the past three days. The list also includes some additional violations by the Israeli occupying forces against the Palestinian population under its occupation:
- On 10 October 2015:
- Marwan Barbakh (age 13) and Khalil Othman (age 15) were shot dead during an Israeli raid in Gaza.
- Ishaq Qasem Badran (age 16) was shot dead near Damascus Gate in Occupied East Jerusalem.
- On 11 October 2015:
- Noor Hassan, a 30 year old pregnant woman, and her daughter Rahaf Hassan (age 2) were killed by an Israeli airstrike in Gaza.
- Ahmed Sharaka (age 13), from Al-Jalazoun Refugee camp, was shot dead with a live round during an Israeli military raid south of Al-Bireh near Ramallah.
- The Ministry of Health announced that the occupying forces have shot and injured more than 1,300 Palestinians with live and rubber-coated bullets since the beginning of this month, noting that at least 75 Palestinians were shot with live rounds on Sunday alone, of those, 53 Palestinians were shot with live fire at Huwarra, south of Nablus and a further 20 shot with live rounds including expanding “dum dum” bullets.
- At least 50 Palestinians were detained overnight Sunday in the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem.
- On 12 October 2015:
- Hassan Khaled Manasra (age 15) was killed in Beit Hanina, north of Occupied East Jerusalem.
- Ahmed Saleh Manasra (age 13) was seriously injured, in Beit Hanina, north of Occupied East Jerusalem.
- Mustafa Adel Al-Khatib (age 18) from Sur Baher in Occupied East Jerusalem was shot and killed near Bab Al-Asbat.
- 18 Palestinians were wounded by Israeli occupying forces near Huwarra, south of Nablus.
- A young man was shot, wounded, and kidnapped by the occupying forces north of Bethlehem.
- Farah Bakeer (age 17), a Palestinian school girl, was shot and seriously injured in Occupied East Jerusalem.
- A Palestinian prisoner, Fadi Al-Darabi (age 30) from Jenin was declared “brain dead” after being transferred to an Israeli hospital following a stroke and acute bleeding while in captivity in an Israeli prison.
- Terrorist Israeli settlers stormed two villages south of Nablus, Qusra and Jalud, under the protection of occupying forces in an attempt to attack Palestinian homes and civilians.
- According to reports today, at least 27 Palestinians, including several children, have been killed by the occupying forces since the beginning of October (12 days).
The violations mentioned above should trigger immediate action by the international community, including the Security Council, to finally take measures to provide the Palestinian civilian population with immediate protection, consistent with the provisions and obligations of international humanitarian law. The Palestinian people cannot remain the exception to the responsibility to protect civilians from such atrocities and flagrant breaches of the law.
At a time when the international community is needed to step up its efforts, the Palestinian leadership expresses its dismay that the Middle East Quartet, at the behest of the occupying Power, has cancelled its planned meeting that was to take place this week in the Occupied State of Palestine and Israel. Indeed, the cancellation of this meeting at a time that it is most needed sends a very troubling message about the readiness and ability of the international community to undertake the hard work of reviving peace prospects and the willingness to confront the continuation by Israel of its illegal and destructive policies. We appeal to the international community to rise to its responsibilities and reject the occupying Power’s obstruction of efforts block to address this critical situation with the seriousness required to de-escalate tensions, save civilian lives, and create a credible political horizon with the termination of the occupation that began in 1967 as its end goal.
This letter is in follow-up to our 557 previous letters regarding the ongoing crisis in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, which constitutes the territory of the State of Palestine. These letters, dated from 29 September 2000 (A/55/432-S/2000/921) to 9 October 2015 (A/ES-/10/xxx- S/2015/xxx) constitute a basic record of the crimes being committed by Israel, the occupying Power, against the Palestinian people since September 2000. For all of these war crimes, acts of State terrorism and systematic human rights violations being committed against the Palestinian people, Israel, the occupying Power, must be held accountable and the perpetrators must be brought to justice.
I should be grateful if you would arrange to have the text of the present letter distributed as a document of the tenth emergency special session of the General Assembly, under agenda item 5, and of the Security Council.
Please accept, Excellency, the assurances of my highest consideration.
Dr. Riyad Mansour
Ambassador, Permanent Observer of the State of Palestine to the United Nations
- See more at: http://palestineun.org/12-october-2015-israeli-crimes-and-violations/#sthash.AZqVpQh5.tu0m2ave.dpuf